Monday, January 4, 2010

Clean & Jerk and Snatch

Clean & Jerk -- Work up to a heavy single, then 85% x 1 x 3
155
185
205 - Failed. Got the full squat clean (PR) but dropped it in the jerk. Wasn't aggressive enough.
175
175
175

Snatch -- Goal was to continue with Pat's advice to get four unbroken, going up 5lbs each week. Was successful at 135 x 4 at Garth's house on 1/1, so went for 140 today - was successful at this today. 140 (63kg) is a PR with perfect form. Caught all in a full squat. At the OLY meet on 12/12 I got 65kg, but that was a power snatch and I had a press in it. Today were all full squat snatches with no press.

140 x 1 x 4

Pullups: 3x max reps
20, 14, 12

2x: 1min front, 1min left, 1min right side planks

4 comments:

  1. Dave,

    Good job on the snatch. In a competition, you can power snatch. Most people (I am guilty of this myself), never take the time and put in the effort to develop the actual snatch. They want to lift the most weight at that time and for most, it will be with the power snatch. They will not check the ego and accept that they miss a 135 where they tried to actually drop under it and catch it, but if they would have power snatched it, they would have made it easily. This is my number 1 criticism of the vast majority of CrossFitter who "olift when the WOD calls for it". They do not want to "lose" the daily WOD, so they power snatch a load.

    I have made this point over and over again. The true snatch is a skill that needs to be developed. I am a novice at it, but I value being able to actually do the snatch, not a muscle snatch, not a power snatch, a real snatch.

    I assume the pull-up were deadhang. They were weren't they?

    I am looking forward to next week,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat is such a "Snatch Purist" isn't he? :)

    Love his passion about the Snatch. I believe his advice is dead on for those that want to be MUCH better at developing O-lifts and not be a "CrossFit Snatch" lifter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I would argue that anyone interested in "Elite" Fitness should be reasonably competent in the exercises they are doing to show their "elite" fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My interest definitely lies in perfecting the Snatch and Clean & Jerk. The full squat, Olympic style, take-years-to-master-but-well-worth-the-effort type. As Dan John quotes of Don Quixote, "It's the road, not the Inn". Plus there is just something great about catching that snatch in the full squat...the clean, too.

    Pat, no, those pullups were kipping, not deadhang. Should I be doing deadhang instead of kipping (when it comes to trying to work on that pulling power to get better at the snatch and c&j?)

    ReplyDelete