Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2010 Programming -- January & February

After reading “Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches” by Greg Everett, I’ve decided we are going to follow the “Beginner Program”, at least for the first 6-8 weeks of 2010. Instead of Wednesday being a rest day, however, as they prescribe, we’ll take that as a “fun day” to do supplemental exercises to the Olympic lifts: Things like kettlebell swings, box jumps, bench press, knees to elbows, hyperextensions, etc.

Taken directly from the book:
“For the first cycle of this program, the athlete will simply feel out a comfortable weight for the prescribed sets and reps – this weight should be somewhat challenging but well within the athlete’s ability. The snatch and clean & jerk will be taken up gradually to the heaviest weight with which the athlete is comfortable that day for a single rep; after that final heavy rep, the athlete will take 3 more singles with 85% of that weight.”


Here is how the programming will look. We’ll repeat this 2 week cycle for the first 6-8 weeks, then determine where to go from there.


4 comments:

  1. Dave,

    I was thinking of doing this same thing. I am just about finished with Dan John's book and one of the key points seems to be....keep it simple, basic and consistent. This program is just that. For me, I will most likely just do 2 olift days a week, worked to a heavy single (where either I miss, or form breaks down) and then drop 10-15lbs and hit a few with perfect technique. My whole motivation for this is to improve technique. However, I also have to remember, this is not a CrossFit ME workout where I am doing a lift once every few months and I should not be PRing everytime. It is okay if 1 day my heaviest snatch is 185lbs, but the next it is only 160lbs. That is part of the deal when doing this kind of training.

    Good Luck. Are you are your crew competining 30 Jan 2010? You should consider it. Compete, on a platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat! Yes, you're right, keeping it simple definitely seems to be the way to go. And even this "beginner" program has a LOT of great stuff to it. We get to the the OLY lifts, the classic lifts, all while working on building strength and focusing on technique at the same time. We're going to check out Gattone's place on Jan 14, too.

    Where is the IL weightlifting meet on Jan 30? I tried searching on Google but couldn't find it. No, none of us are planning on competing, but if it isn't too far away a couple of us would definitely come watch you compete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meet is at Gattone's facility in Buffalo Grove. It is the IL State Championships and there will also be a CrossFit division, open to people who are interested in competing, but not olifters.

    You guys should all think about competing. Who cares if you win or lose, it is about getting on the platform and lifting what you can, on that day, at that time, while being judged honestly. That is the sport of weightlifting. Plus, everyone is great and the only way to really learn this sport is to actually do it. USAW memberships are $35/year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, thank you! This morning I weighed 158lbs, so I could compete in the 151.8lb class a month from now. And you're right, I had an absolute blast competing at the OLY lifting meet at Windy City Crossfit on Dec 12.

    I'll definitely strongly consider competing. With a solid month on the schedule listed above, plus going to Gattone's on Jan 14, I'll definitely be even more confident on the lifts, too. I'm limited by both strength AND technique right now, but like you said, who cares? It's about going out there, having fun, and lifting as much as I can while being judged honestly. I like that!

    ReplyDelete