Thursday, June 3, 2010

Where ya been, Dave??

As mentioned in my last post, on Saturday, April 24 I fractured my finger helping my buddy Matt setup his Crossfit Gym (http://www.crossfitamrap.com/ - tell your friends, it is a SWEET gym!). I spent most of the four weeks after that NOT working out. During this non-workout time, I experimented with Pat's idea on losing weight WITHOUT working out.

I ate clean, and I ate light. Typically 1-2 small meals per day, less than 1500 calories per day. And I lost weight, and have kept it off! I quickly dropped to 155 (from a starting weight of 165lbs), and have remained there the entire time. Pat was right - you don't have to exercise to lose weight. In fact, exercising can potentially INHIBIT weight loss - either by making you think you can eat more because "I've earned it", or by making you even more hungry post-workout.

Of course you need to consider what Pat says, too, in that if you ARE exercising, you may be more inclined to WANT to eat healthy. I know that's typically how I am - though have been able to stick to a clean diet with or without exercise.

About two weeks ago I started hitting the workouts really hard again. Back at the CDW gym in the mornings, doing a solid mix of weights, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), lots of sprinting, TONS of planks/ab work, pullups, pushups, other bodyweight stuff.

In the evenings I have been doing INSANITY, which is a DVD workout series by BeachBody (same folks who made P90X). Let me tell you, these workouts are TOUGH! 40 minutes of non-stop bodyweight/cardio/plyometric work. Sweating after the 5 minute warmup, and sweating all the way until the end.

So I'm back, and back with a vengeance. I'm at a nice, lean, 155lbs, doing two workouts per day, and continuing to eat light and clean. And I feel great!! This "being healthy" stuff really isn't that tough - I wish it didn't seem so complicated for so many people. Do exercise that makes you feel good, eat real foods (read: meat and vegetables) in moderation, and you can be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment